Lovely Lerryn: An Autumn Walk by the River
Autumn walks are what this season is all about! I recently popped down the road to Lerryn with my mum as the last light was fading. Such a calm and peaceful place, and one I always enjoy visiting. We just managed to grab an ice cream before the post office and shop closed (yes, I know, weird in autumn, but that's just how we roll!). We sat by the river watching the water sparkle in the golden light.
We didn't have much time, so we just wandered a little way along the riverbank, pausing to watch the swans and admire the boats.
Lerryn is the kind of place that feels as though you are stepping into a storybook. The village is even said to have helped inspire The Wind in the Willows, following Kenneth Grahame's holidays in this part of Cornwall.
Walking around Lerryn
There are woodland walks on both sides of the river, and at low tide you can cross by the stepping stones. There is a small free car park just by the green, a charming village school and a friendly pub. With a well-kept public toilet and a beautiful village hall, it really is a lovely place to visit. I am based in Lostwithiel, with St Winnow on the way to Lerryn to enjoy as well. I must confess to a real love of my neck of the woods!
If you have a little more time, nearby Ethy Woods are also well worth exploring.
You can carry on through to St Veep and find your way to Bodinnick, then catch the ferry to Fowey, a characterful seaside town.
Lerryn is also one of the places visited by Cornwall Discovery, run by local guide Barry Pengelly, on its private tours of South Cornwall. It makes perfect sense here: you can enjoy the tiny villages, wooded creeks and winding lanes without having to navigate them yourself.
This season I am keen to make the most of local woodland, heading to Cardinham Woods (where a walk can be rewarded with yummy tea and cake), perhaps the Lanhydrock estate (Victorian grandeur at its best) and, of course, the hidden gem that is Luxulyan Valley, with its grand viaduct and multiple pathways exploring Cornwall's mining past.
Comments
Post a Comment