Winter Pub Walks in Cornwall

There is something particularly satisfying about a winter walk in Cornwall. Coastal paths and village wanderings seem made for this time of year, although I don't know about you, but after too much fresh Cornish air I require somewhere cosy to warm myself up again.

Luckily, Cornwall does pubs at the end of walks rather well. Sea views, roaring fires, local ales and something good to eat can make the promise of a muddy few miles much more appealing. Here are five of my favourites for mixing the invigorating with the cosy.

Rashleigh Inn, Polkerris – walk from Par or Fowey

We do love a good pub in the UK, don't we? Local ales, home-cooked food and, increasingly, some really excellent cooking too.

A favourite from my neck of the woods is the Rashleigh Inn at Polkerris Beach. The sea view alone makes it worth the trip. When I first wrote this in 2023 it had the full package: a roaring fire and even a resident cat.

I often park at Par Beach and walk across towards Polkerris, ending at the pub for a drink. If you fancy something longer, you can approach from the Fowey direction instead. Fowey is a fab little town whatever the season, so either way this makes a lovely winter outing.

Pandora Inn – walk from Mylor Bridge

Back in my student days in Falmouth, the Pandora Inn was a lovely place to go. It sits right beside Restronguet Creek and, despite suffering a major fire in its history, has survived to remain one of those wonderfully atmospheric Cornish pubs.

You can walk from Mylor Bridge to the Pandora Inn, giving yourself a couple of hours of peace and quiet before settling in by the creek.

I am also quite happy to do a walk on the promise of pudding. I know, strange. My brother and I used to do this rather a lot, conveniently cancelling out all that virtuous calorie burning.

When I wrote this in 2023, the Pandora's menu included a ginger and treacle steamed pudding with cinnamon crème anglaise. Menus change, of course, but that sounded particularly fitting after a chilly walk!

Old Quay Inn, Devoran – explore the Mineral Tramways

Devoran is such a calming spot beside Restronguet Creek. The Old Quay Inn makes a natural stopping point, especially if you have spent some time exploring the old mining landscape around the village.

It sits close to the Mineral Tramways Coast to Coast trail, so there is plenty of scope to choose how ambitious you want to be. A gentle waterside wander works perfectly well too.

When I first wrote this in 2023 I had the Old Quay down as a lovely place for a Sunday roast. Whatever is on the menu when you visit, the combination of creek views and a warm pub is difficult to argue with. Dogs are welcome too, which is useful if your walking companion has four legs.

Shipwrights Arms – Frenchman's Creek

Frenchman's Creek is another beautiful option. I have a real soft spot for Cornwall's river walks – there is something wonderfully atmospheric about them in winter.

The 2.7-mile circular walk from Helford passes through woodland and farmland and along quiet roads, taking you into the landscape so closely associated with Daphne du Maurier's novel Frenchman's Creek.

Back in Helford, you have a rather appealing choice of rewards. There is the Riverside Café if tea and cake is calling, while the Shipwrights Arms sits right on the water's edge for something more substantial.

Port William – Trebarwith Strand and Tintagel

This is a pub I have only actually visited in winter, which somehow makes the Port William at Trebarwith Strand feel especially fitting for this list.

It sits right on the cliff edge above a particularly rugged stretch of the north Cornwall coast, with the sort of sea view that is every bit as enjoyable from inside on a wild day.

There are several walks to choose from around Trebarwith Strand. One lovely option is to follow the coast towards Tintagel, with its dramatic cliffs and castle scenery. Have a look at the Trebarwith Strand to Tintagel walk if you fancy making a proper outing of it.

And there we have it: sea cliffs, wooded creeks, old tramways and several very good excuses to disappear into a warm pub afterwards. Winter walking suddenly doesn't sound too arduous at all.

Walking routes, path conditions, pub opening times and menus can all change, particularly during the winter months, so it is worth checking the latest information before setting out.

Comments