Our Winter Wonderland

The Standard pub The Roseland Cornwall
The Standard Inn on The Roseland

Visiting Cornwall in winter is definitely different to the rest of the year. Cornwall may be at its brightest in the warm summer sun, but I wouldn't discount our winter wonders. Granted, it is warmer (though we do get some snow, especially on the moors) but the magic of winter can still be enjoyed. Cosy pubs galore, watching storm waters rage with a frothy hot chocolate and a crackling fire can't be beat. 

Ice skating at the Eden Project
Ice skating at the Eden Project

For a traditionally wintery experience, ice skating is a firm family favourite. The Eden Projects rink is a lovely space to twirl around, I also like heading to the domes when you need to warm up! 

Perranporth Sunset
Perranporth Sunset shared on my Instagram for Pickle Design

Walking along the sandy beaches, especially with a dog in tow (or is it me in tow), is a lovely past time in winter. Promenading the long sandy stretches as the sun sinks into the horizon is my idea of perfection. Perranporth on the north coast is great for sunsets, I spent a charming afternoon their back in October and it kind of stole my heart. 

Shopping in December in Cornwall
Artisan markets a plenty

The shopping is great this time of year as well, with markets a plenty and so many independents and crafty makers, I love heading to the little fishing towns and villages, perusing their wares. Our cathedral city of Truro looks magnificent all lit up and is an ideal place to shop 'til you drop.

Sauna on the beach
A sauna with an amazing view, love Polkerris

For the active, and the brave, there is always wild swimming. I have to say I used admire the courage of hardier souls than me when I lived in Falmouth. Watching them run into the sea in the freezing cold as I sipped my warming beverage looking on from the beach cafe. Hats off to them though, wild swimming is proven to be a boost to mental health and give you a real buzz that can be needed in the colder months. Some beaches now even have saunas you can use, like Polkerris near me. Steam away then jump into the sea, talk about invigorating!

Bodmin moor hairy cows
The best way to see Cornwall is with a local guide, Cornwall Discovery Tours with Berry Pengelly is my favourite.

I love to explore the moors in winter, seeing the handsome hairy cows dotted around the landscape, the ponies too, make for great memories. At dawn or dusk the mist descends and the photo ops abound. There is a stillness on the moors which is hard to define, birds of prey circle above and brooks babble away. Just beautiful.

Day spa offers
Trenython Manor Spa

If you need something a little more luxurious then I recommend planning a spa day in one of our many excellent hotels. There are some great deals to be had off season, and something as simple as a swim and a meal can be all you need to pop a spring in your step. Trenython Manor is a favourite near me, a stone's throw from Fowey. 

Cotehele garland
The Amazing Garland at Cotehele house 

My final wintery Cornish suggestion is to visit a country house. Some of the National Trust properties are still open in winter, or at least their gardens, cafe and shops might be. The amazing dried flower garland at Cotehele is a stunning sight to behold. A firm favourite of mine and such a lovely garden to walk around, heading down to the waters edge. The Lost Gardens of Heligan and their lit up grounds have become a winter favourite. Or perhaps embrace the dramatic and explore Tintagel's castle, a place rich with legend and ripe with adventures for those willing to bring their imaginations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rick Stein's Big Fish Supper

Mark Preston at the Lighthouse Gallery

Marazion