A Day in Par

Marsh Villa Gardens, Par, Cornwall

Beautifully sunny gardens at Par, Cornwall. Photographed by Emma Julian

A recent trip to Marsh Villa Gardens in Par made me think I should highlight the beauties of this part of Cornwall. Although right on my doorstep, I hadn't properly visited Marsh Villa gardens until the recent Bank Holiday. It worked out really well, its such a peaceful garden owned by a lovely family. They took over the three acre plot in the Eighties and have transformed the over grown valley into a tranquil paradise. I went with my dad and we meandered around the paths before the sun got too hot. This was the creek mentioned by Daphne du Maurier in 'House on the Strand'.

Spring captured by Emma Julian in Par


You can help yourself to home made cake for a couple of pounds but we went just further along the road to the popular Yummy Scrummy Bakery. They do marvellous pancakes and as the name suggests, yummy cakes. I often meet friends here for breakfast but today it was a smoothie and cake.

Bright and beautiful Par beach, Cornwall

Low cliffs, green fields and low tide at Par beach


Par has a wide and windswept beach that I think is often over looked. Granted, at one end you have the China clay works but this is a long beach and at the other you have my favourite mixture of green hills meeting the rugged cliffs with the stunning blue sea. Ideal to run an energetic dog or two, there is always plenty of sand. I like to park here and walk the short but lovely coastal path to Polkerris. On the way you pass by Booley beach which is little and often quiet. I have fond memories of having croissants and orange juice here on a sunny morning with my sister, beach to ourselves.

Polkerris beach, Cornwall


Polkerris is definitely a favourite beach of mine, my go to place for some of that Cornish bliss. The pub is right on the beach, The Rashleigh Inn, and it is the perfect spot to watch the sunset.

The pub serves delicious food, and just next door you have Sam's on the Beach - pizzas and pastas from a local favourite (they have a diner at Par market, the original restaurant in Fowey and a place in Truro). The beach is small but safe, you'll often see kids fishing off the harbour wall and if you want to get active and try stand up paddle boarding its all here. Oh and a diddy gallery thats lovely to peruse.

Calm waters at Polkerris by Emma Julian

This is my corner of Cornwall, and as much as I love exploring all this county has to offer, there is no place like home.

All images subject to copyright ©

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rick Stein's Big Fish Supper

Mark Preston at the Lighthouse Gallery

Marazion