New Birding Scope

Swarovski ATS 80HD
If you are fortunate enough to live near the Camel Trail in Cornwall, no doubt you have had a stroll or bike ride somewhere between Padstow and Bodmin, maybe even ventured the full length. Whatever the case I am sure you would have delighted in the bird life found all along this trail.

I wrote previously regarding bird watching on the Camel Estuary, and recently I took the plunge and purchased a scope to enhance my birding. It took me hours of research, visits to optic demonstrations in the field, and advice from other users before I finally made up my mind on which scope to go for.

My decision?…Swarovski ATS 80HD with a 20 - 60 Zoom lens (pictured above).

No, it was not cheap, but I had been saving for some time and reasoned that I only want to buy once, and so in my research decided to get one of the best on the market. It hasn't let me down. In my opinion the optimum Zoom for clarity is around 35 - 40 times.

I am not a Swarovski salesman, nor am I suggesting you go out and buy one, but if you are in the market and undecided I know you will be delighted. Of course, you must try in the field first. Oh, one other thing...take a look at the moon, you can almost touch it! Happy birding with the naked eye, binns or scope.

Story and photograph contributed by Norman Greaves

Comments

  1. have you tried digiscoping with it yet?
    ...and talking about looking at the moon, I recently did a night migrating bird survey by literally staring at the full moon for almost the entire night for a whole week. We were looking to find birds migrating between us and the moon. The result was that I got to look at the full moon in detail for many many hours during that week - what a wonder it is!

    Happy birding
    Dale
    http://alpinebirds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rick Stein's Big Fish Supper

Mark Preston at the Lighthouse Gallery

Our Winter Wonderland